Yields 80 servings
- Water, cool (approx. 72°F) 3 lb or 6 cups
- Gold Medal™ Yellow Cake Mix (11152) 5 lb or 1 box
- Powdered sugar 6 lb or 23 cups
- Cocoa powder 8 oz or 2 1/2 cups
- Butter, softened 4 oz or 1/2 cup
- Water, boiling 2 lb or 4 cups
- Coconut, desiccated 2 lb or 12 cups
- Combine water and cake mix as directed on box.
- Divide batter equally into 2 greased and parchment-lined half sheet pans fitted with pan extenders.
- Bake as directed below; cool completely:
- Convection* - 300°F for 25-30 minutes
- *Rotate pans baked in convection oven one-half turn (180°) 12 minutes after baking.
- Standard - 350°F for 27-32 minutes
- Sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder into mixing bowl.
- Add softened butter and boiling water; mix together for a thin icing.
- Cut cooled cake into 2-inch squares (5x8 cut).
- Dip each cake square into Icing, using 2 forks; let excess drip off.
- Toss piece immediately into coconut and cover all sides; place on wire rack over sheet pan.
- Let stand approx. 2 hours or until set.
Formulation courtesy of General Mills Foodservice