Shaun Hergatt is a classically trained chef renowned for his technically precise cooking and painterly presentations. His newest restaurant in New York City, Vestry, is inspired by the modern wave of abstract American cooking. The restaurant features an a la carte menu of inventive, seasonally-driven dishes infused with global techniques and Japanese ingredients.
Cheesecake with Apple-Ginger Chutney
- 100 g Cheesecake
- 20 g Apple Chutney
- 2 ea Toasted Hazelnut Half’s
- 1 ea Fried Egg Noodle
- 900 g Cream Cheese
- 360 g Sugar
- 420 g Saffron Heavy Cream
- 7 ea Whole Egg
- 30 g AP Flour
- 30 g Vanilla Extract
- Blend all ingredient together in robo coupe till smooth
- Pass through a chinois
- Cook in a 3rd pan with a baine Marie at 400f low fan for 50 min
- Without opening the door change to high fan for 10 mins
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
Saffron Heavy Cream
- 1.5 L Heavy Cream
- 1 g Saffron
- Combine all ingredients into sauce pot and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep for 30 minutes.
- Pass through a chinois and cool down.
- 500 g Gala apples
- 300 g Water
- 300 g Sugar
- 1 ea Star anise
- 1 ea Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Citric acid
- 10 g Micro Plane Fresh Ginger
- Cut the apples in fine brunoises.
- Bring the water, sugar, and spices to a boil. And reduce by 75%
- Add the diced apple.
- Cook until apple is completely see thru and there is no more liquid is left.
- Add the citric acid and ginger at the end.
- Cool down and store cold.
Formulation courtesy of Chef Shaun Hergatt of Vestry in New York City