Whether consumers love a classic brownie or prefer a twist on the basics, it’s apparent from Grubhub’s annual “Year in Food” report that America loves a wide variety of desserts.
Here are the top five of the year:
- Brownie (413% more popular)
- Oreo cookie cupcake (316% more popular)
- Baklava (261% more popular)
- Salted caramel cookie (243% more popular)
- Cobbler (238% more popular)
Coming in at the number six spot were vegan brownies (211% more popular), showing America loves brownies in all forms.
This survey points to both the power of comfort desserts (brownies and cobbler) and creative flavor combinations that are globally inspired.
Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food-ordering and delivery marketplace, analyzed millions of orders placed by more than 16 million diners on its platform and surveyed consumers across the country on their ordering tastes and eating habits.
In other notable trends that are important for bakers and pastry chefs to know, plant-based foods were on the rise in 2018. According to Grubhub’s ordering data, bean burritos took the top spot as the food surging the most in popularity in 2018, rising 276% as compared to 2017.
And if you’ve been hearing more about cauliflower this year, you’re not alone: cauliflower rice bowls (155% increase) and buffalo cauliflower (124%) also made the list. One food not in Grubhub’s top 10? Red meat.
Another key finding: Avocado toast is no longer all the rage — the dish didn’t even make Grubhub’s top foods of 2018.
While poke bowls are still hot, they’ve fallen to the no. 2 spot this year, seeing “only” a 205% increase in popularity, compared to a 643% rise in popularity in 2017.
Top Breakfast Items: Healthy items took the top two spots, but close behind are some familiar classics:
- Peanut butter acai bowl (350% more popular)
- Detox juice (193% more popular)
- Bacon, egg and cheese sandwich (190% more popular)
- Breakfast burrito (141% more popular)
- French toast (106% more popular)
Top Late-Night Items: People like to spice it up late night, with stuffed jalapenos and spicy miso ramen taking the top two spots. And it’s clear french toast is universally loved, making both the “top breakfast” and “top late-night” lists.
- Stuffed jalapeno (169% more popular)
- Spicy miso ramen (167% more popular)
- Slider (148% more popular)
- French toast (119% more popular)
- Lamb shawarma (70% more popular)