- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Kerrygold Salted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Using a wooden spoon, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients in the well. Use the wooden spoon to gently stir the ingredients together, starting at the center of the bowl and slowly working out. The dough will be very shaggy, that’s perfect!
- Lightly flour a work surface, and pour the dough out onto the surface. Use your hands to gently knead the dough about 4 times, until it comes together, and the surface is slightly smoother. Use the palms of yours hands to shape into a round loaf.
- Transfer the loaf to the prepared baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle the top with flour. Use a sharp chefs knife to slash a large X on the top of the dough.
- Transfer right away to the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 450°. Lower the temperature to 400°F, rotate the pan 180° in the oven, and bake for another 25-30 minutes until deeply golden brown. Allow the bread to cool for at least 20 minutes, then serve warm with Kerrygold Salted Butter.
Recipe courtesy of Lions Bread and Kerrygold