- 1 tablespoon (14g) butter, melted
- 2 cups (227g) fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup (57g) chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (99g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 12 tablespoons (170g) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup (198g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (120g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (reduce the salt to 1/4 teaspoon if you use salted butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- coarse sparkling sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 10" pie plate or 9" square cake pan. Melt 1 tablespoon butter, and drizzle it into the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the chopped cranberries and nuts in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, 3/4 cup melted butter, sugar, flour, salt, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Spread the thick batter over the cranberries and nuts in the pan, using a spatula or your wet fingers.
- Sprinkle coarse white sparkling sugar atop the batter.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean of batter or crumbs.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Serve warm, or at room temperature; just as it is, or with whipped cream or ice cream.
Formulation courtesy of King Arthur Baking Company