Mountain Dew Merry Mash-up has been a popular holiday flavor for the soda brand in recent years. The limited-time cranberry-pomegranate soda makes for an ideal addition to a meal or can be enjoyed on its own. It also can go well with desserts. That’s what Mountain Dew set out to prove when it teamed up with Brooklyn’s Four & Twenty Blackbirds for a special fruitcake for the holidays two years ago. The idea for it was inspired by the online culture of home bakers making different desserts using Mountain Dew’s sodas.
Mountain Dew Merry Mash-up was used to make the glaze for the cake, which itself featured fresh and dry cranberries and a syrup mimicking a pomegranate flavor in order to highlight the Mountain Dew flavors. Learn how to make it in the recipe below.
Mountain Dew Merry Mash-up Cranberry Pomegranate Fruitcake
by Four & Twenty Blackbirds
Makes one 8” round cake or one 9” loaf cake
Prep Time – 40 minutes
Total Time – 3.5-4 hours
Serves – 12-16
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried apricots
- ½ cup chopped dates
- 2 tbsp finely diced candied ginger
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 20-ounce bottle Mountain Dew Merry Mash-Up – divided use
- 1 navel orange
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 5 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice of Mountain Dew Merry Mash-Up
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the dried fruits, fresh cranberries, and ½ cup Mountain Dew Merry Mash-Up. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Cover and set aside for one hour. Set butter and eggs on counter to come to room temperature.
- Grease an 8” round tube pan, 8” round cake pan, or a 9” by 5” loaf pan – whichever you are using. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, salt, and lemon zest on medium speed until creamy, 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs on at a time and beat well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, allspice, and baking powder. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the pomegranate molasses and pomegranate juice (or Mountain Dew Merry Mash-Up).
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, stir on low to combine, then add 1/3 of the liquid mixture, stir on low, then scrape down the bowl. In the same fashion, alternate adding the flour and liquid mixtures to the bowl in two more additions.