Makes six servings
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (1/2 pound)
- 3 1/2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb (about 6 or 7 stalks)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out the puffy pastry into a circle 11 inches in diameter and about 1/8-inch thick, and transfer to a baking sheet. Form a border in the pastry by roll-pleating the edge of the dough.
- Arrange the rhubarb neatly on the pastry, in shingled layers in circles very close together. Brush them with melted butter and sprinkle them with the sugar.
- Bake the tart for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the rhubarb is soft.
- Finely grate the ginger and add it to the crème fraîche. Allow to steep in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Pass the cream through a cheesecloth to remove the ginger.
- Allow the tart to cool for 30 minutes. Cut it into wedges and serve with the ginger cream.
Recipe courtesy of The Culinary Institute of America