Yields 24 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups (248g) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (396g) Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 cups (240g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups (326g) finely grated carrots
- 1 cup (113g) chopped walnuts or pecans
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 8 tablespoons (113g) butter, softened
- 4 cups (452g) Domino® Powdered, sifted if lumpy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup (198g) Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1/3 cup (76g) water
- 3/4 cup (85g) walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two standard muffin pan or cupcake pans, or line the pans with papers and grease the papers.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, beat together the oil, sugar, salt, eggs, and spices.
- Whisk the flour with the baking powder and baking soda and add to the bowl, stirring to combine.
- Add the carrots and nuts and mix until just blended. Scoop the batter into the prepared pans, using about 55g for each cupcake; a muffin scoop works well here.
- Bake the cupcakes for 21 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the middle cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven, and after about ten minutes transfer them to a rack to cool. Allow them to cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and spices.
- Return to medium speed and beat for 1 to 2 minutes, until creamy.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and set it aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook over medium-high heat until the mixture reaches 320°F. Do not stir.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and add the walnuts.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Cool completely before breaking into small pieces.
- Frost the cupcakes and garnish with the walnut brittle topping before serving.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to one week; freeze for longer storage.
Recipe courtesy of Domino Sugar and King Arthur Baking Company