- 1 3⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 cup pitted dates soaked in boiling water for 10 mins
- 1⁄2 cup crunchy natural peanut butter
- 1 cup 70% dark chocolate melts
- 1⁄4 cup peeled hazelnuts chopped
- Grease or spray a 8 inch square cake tin with oil.
- Process oats, protein powder and salt together to form fine crumb.
- Drain dates, reserving some water for later. Add dates to processor and blend until well combined.
- Transfer dough to a bowl and mix peanut butter through by hand. Dough should be pliable enough to roll, like cookie dough. Depending on your protein powder you may need to add more oats if dough is too wet or some of the date water if too dry.
- Add to cake tin, pressing mixture into the tin. Spread out evenly using a large spatula and place in freezer while you prepare the chocolate.
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals (or in a bowl over a saucepan with a small amount of simmering water, stirring) until just melted. It should be warm to the touch but not too hot or it won’t set properly.
- Spread melted chocolate over the protein bar base and scatter over the hazelnuts. Refrigerate until chocolate has set.
- Cut into 16 even bars. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 month
Formulation courtesy of Sergio Perera