This formula is courtesy of Chef Julien Otto, faculty instructor at The Fresh Pastry School, as demonstrated at the International Baking Industry Exposition during the hands-on session, “Old World and Innovative Artisan Breads.” This bread offers a savory option with a globally inspired flavor. The yield is 32 loaves at 350 grams each.
- 5,000 grams bread flour
- 3,300 grams water
- 1,500 grams liquid levain
- 20 grams dry instant yeast
- 90 grams salt
- 350 grams water for double hydration
- 40 grams Madras curry powder
- 1,200 grams raisins
- 11,500 grams Total Weight
- Place the four and 3,300 grams of water into a mixer.
- Knead for 3 minutes in first gear.
- Autolyse for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add the levain, salt and curry powder and knead for 8 minutes in first gear. The dough temperature should be 72-73°F.
- Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Gently press out gasses. Then place in cooler overnight.
- Scale into 350-gram pieces and pre-shape into balls.
- Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Shape into short loaves.
- Proof for 1½ hours at 73°F.
- Sprinkle lightly with flour and score in polka dot style.
- Bake at 464-482°F using steam.