This recipe comes from Milk Jar Cookies founder Courtney Cowan and her Milk Jar Cookies Bakebook, which features seventy-five recipes for cookies, classic cakes and pies, no-bake treats, homemade marshmallows, and even sweet drinks.
Courtney and her team highlight this Sour Cream Coffee Cake for a “bake your way into autumn” theme.
Makes one Bundt cake
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, cold
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and ﬂour a Bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together ﬂour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar, approximately 3-4 minutes. Mix in the eggs one at a time, on low speed, until just combined. Add the vanilla extract and sour cream and mix until just combined, approximately 1 minute. Add the ﬂour mixture and mix on low until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir, making sure everything is combined.
- For the streusel, combine the ﬂour, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, and butter in a small Using your ﬁngers, pinch it all together until it forms a crumble.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out with a spoon. Sprinkle half of the streusel evenly across that layer. Pour the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and then top with the remaining streusel. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 30-45 minutes and then carefully transfer the cake to a serving platter, streusel side down.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extracts to create a runny glaze. If needed, you can add a couple drops of water. Drizzle as much glaze as you’d like over. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then slice and serve. Store at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.