A panel of judges has selected the final recipes that will be represented in the seventh National Festival of Breads, taking place virtually on Wednesday, June 9.
The national bread-baking competition, sponsored by Red Star Yeast, King Arthur Baking Company and Kansas Wheat, has named three adult and two youth finalists. In addition to the five finalists, the judges also selected 27 Honorable Mention Awards. Finalists and award recipients represent states from coast to coast.
“The National Festival of Breads celebrates the creativity of America’s home bakers,” sats Cindy Falk, co-chairperson of the event and nutrition educator for Kansas Wheat. “Join us on June 9 from the comfort of your home as we share the stories behind our finalists’ winning recipes and announce who will be America’s next top bread baker.”
The finalists are:
- Barbara Estabrook (Appleton, Wisconsin) – Hearty Wild Rice ’n Tart Cherry Bread in the Traditional Breads category
- Susan Simpson (Harrington, Delaware) – Apricot-Raisin Babka Ring in the Sweet Breads/Rolls category
- Anakkarat Barth (Long Beach, California) – Savory Thai Peanut Sauce Rolls in the Savory Rolls category
- Maggie Sleichter (Clay Center, Kansas) – Strawberry Lemonade Swirls in the Sweet Rolls category
- Madee McKee (Wamego, Kansas) – Blueberry Blossom Tree Braids in the Creative Bread Shape category
Viewers can join the online event premiere on June 9 to see all of the finalists’ recipes, hear from the finalists and sponsors and find out who will be crowned the “Best of Breads” Champion in America’s bread baking championship.