Lisa Keys of Kennett Square, Pa., was the grand prize winner in the 2015 National Festival of Breads baking competition, sponsored by King Arthur Flour, Red Star Yeast and the Kansas Wheat Commission. Ms. Keys’ Smokehouse Cranberry Cheese Bread was selected as the winner from among eight finalist recipes baked at the public competition on June 13 in Manhattan. The National Festival of Breads is the nation’s only amateur bread-baking competition.
Ms. Keys’ bread was entered in the competition’s “Time-Saving and Simple Breads” category.
“Memories of visits with my in-laws in Quechee, Vt., inspired this bread,” Ms. Keys said. “My mother in-law always had smoked cheeses from the local farmer and fresh-made maple syrup tapped from trees in town. She was also into healthy foods and introduced me to tofu in delicious breakfast smoothies. This bread honors all of her goodness.”
As the 2015 National Festival of Breads champion, Ms. Keys received $2,000, plus a trip to attend a baking class of her choice at the King Arthur Flour Baking Education Center in Norwich, Vt. In addition, she will receive 120 envelopes of Red Star Yeast.
In addition to the competition, the National Festival of Breads featured educational baking demonstrations, children’s activities and bread tasting.
The finalists for each category and special award winners included:
- Ethnic: Felice Bogus, Raleigh, N.C. — Chickpea-Stuffed Aleppo Flatbreads; Mary Hawkes, Prescott, Ariz. — Cheddar 'N' Chiles Accordion Bread;
- Rolls: Merry Graham, Newhall, Calif. — Curry and Chia Onion Buns; Amy Meiers, Santa Rosa, Calif. — Rosemary Cardamom Twisters;
- Whole Grains: Ronna Farley, Rockville, Md. — Crunchy-Topped Coconut Almond Bread; Patrice Hurd, Bemidji, Minn. — Peppered Parmesan Veggie Bread;
- Time-Saving and Simple: Jane Fry, Elk Falls, Kas. — Chocolate Swirl Loaves; Lisa Keys, Kennett Square, Pa. — Smokehouse Cranberry Cheese Bread;
- Youth Category: Ellie Sapat, Falmouth, Maine — Wild Maine Blueberry Banana Nut Bread;
- Best Recipe Using Soy Ingredients: Merry Graham, Newhall, Calif. — Kale-Goat Cheese Artisan Olive Bread;
- Best Recipe Using C&H or Domino Sugar: Mary Shivers, Ada, Okla. — Orange Scented Cream Cheese Kolaches;
Best Recipe Using White Whole Wheat Flour: Jennifer Beckman, Falls Church, Va. — Buttermilk-Scallion Flatbreads.
Additional information about the 2015 National Festival of Breads, including the finalists’ recipes and a list of sponsors, is available at www.NationalFestivalofBreads.com