Yields one 8" cakes
- 4 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (124g) sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (120g) almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups (248g to 333g) sliced strawberries, for topping
*Replace the 1 tablespoon coconut flour with 1/4 cup almond flour, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" round pan with melted butter (dairy-free if desired) or coconut oil. Swirl it in the pan and make sure it goes up the sides. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar listed in the ingredients into the bottom of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Slowly beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients — flours, baking powder and salt — and add to the egg yolks. Stir together to form a thick dough.
- Fold in the egg whites, 1/2 cup at a time, incorporating them fully between each addition. The final addition should result in a smooth, fluffy batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes, until it's golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the sides, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate.
- Allow the cake to cool fully before topping with sliced strawberries, or the fruit of your choice.
Formulation courtesy of King Arthur Baking Company