One of the hottest trends in pizza is Detroit-style. Although it has been around since the 1940’s, it is coming back around as one of the most popular pizza styles and a favored comfort food.
Buddy’s Pizza, creator of the Original Detroit-Style Pizza, is celebrating 75 years since inventing the iconic pizza style. With the recent buzz around Detroit-Style pizza and eateries adding it to their menu, Buddy’s is asking the question…is it truly Detroit-Style?
According to the Buddy’s, these are the elements of an authentic, original Detroit-Style Pizza:
- Rectangular blue steel plans, once used in automotive factories to hold small parts, the seasoning of these pans contributes to the flavor profile of the dough
- Fresh, double-proofed dough hand-stretched to the corners of the pan
- Margherita pepperoni under cheese (specialty pizzas may have other types of pepperoni on top)
- Wisconsin brick cheese crumbled, not shredded, and spread edge-to-edge to create the one-of-a-kind crispy and caramelized crust
- Stripes of tomato sauce ladled on top
“Detroit-Style pizza is more than a trend – it’s a tradition,” says Buddy’s Pizza chief executive officer Burton Heiss. “Michigan families and friends have been forming bonds over Detroit-Style Pizza at Buddy’s since 1946, and we’re thrilled other pizzerias across the country are adding this unique style to their menu.”
Through a partnership with Goldbelly, fans nationwide can enjoy Detroit-Style pizza from the originator. Eight-square pizzas can be ordered in three or six packs and are available online. All orders are made in select Buddy’s Pizza locations, created just how it would be prepared in the restaurant.
To celebrate 75 years of Detroit-Style Pizza, Buddy’s has established June 23 as the official National Detroit-Style Pizza Day. In Detroit, June 23 has been known as Buddy’s Pizza Day, which was recognized by former Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and city council to credit Buddy’s Pizza for putting Detroit on the map and showcasing the city’s innovation. The new national day allows Detroit-Style pizzerias around the nation to celebrate the history, the style and the roots of where it all began.