Spiced Sponge Cake
- 1 ⅓ cups cake flour
- 1 ⅓ tsp baking powder
- Scant ¼ tsp table salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg, or more to taste
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9-inch round pan, preferably springform, with cooking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites with electric mixer on medium speed to soft peaks.
- With mixer still running, slowly add sugar and increase mixer speed to medium-high.
- When egg whites reach stiff peaks, add egg yolks one by one, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Drizzle in milk and vanilla extract and beat just until combined. Remove bowl from mixer and gently fold in flour mixture in three additions.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake in the center of the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until very lightly browned and top springs back when lightly touched near the center. Let cool completely.
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12-oz can evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cups eggnog
- 2 or 3 Tbsp dark rum, or to taste (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg, or to taste
Pour sweetened condensed milk into a large bowl. Whisk in evaporated milk, eggnog, rum, and nutmeg. If using a springform pan, wrap the bottom of the pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil to catch any leaks. Use a thin wooden skewer to poke holes all over the cooled cake. Pour about ¾ of the milks mixture over the cake and refrigerate overnight. Save remaining mixture for serving, (and perhaps a little for your morning coffee).
Eggnog Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ cup eggnog
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp dark rum (optional)
To serve: Beat 1 cup heavy cream with powdered sugar and nutmeg to medium peaks. With mixer running on medium-low, drizzle in eggnog and rum in 3 parts, then increase speed until cream is fairly stiff. Spread on top of the cake. Top with additional grated nutmeg if desired.
Recipe courtesy of executive pastry chef Jessica Grossman of Patrick Properties Hospitality Group in Charleston, South Carolina