Makes one 13 x 9 x 2 1/2 oval porcelain dish
Vanilla Crème Brûlée
4 cups cream
3/4 cups cream
1 cup sugar
12 g egg yolks
1 ea whole vanilla bean
10 ea medium-large croissants (cut into 2" pieces)
2 cups EXTRA BITTER 61% (coarsely chopped)
1. Heat cream, milk, and vanilla to almost a boil.
2. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks with granulated sugar until smooth.
3. Stir the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture.
4. Whisk together, strain, and let cool.
1. Place 1 ½ cups crème brûlée mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.
2. Layer croissant pieces on top of the crème brulee mixture
3. Sprinkle chopped chocolate on top of the croissant pieces.
4. Pour 1 cup crème brûlée mixture on top.
5. Place the remaining croissant pieces, and cover with the last of the crème brûlée mixture.
6. Place bread pudding on a baking tray in the oven.
7. Bake 30 minutes at 121ºC (275º F) and then another 20 minutes at 121ºC (250ºF).
Formulation courtesy of Extraordinary Desserts (San Diego, California)