- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 24 ounces Companion Pretzel Sticks, preferably stale, cubed
- 6 tablespoons salted caramel (recipe follows)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter 9x13 baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and cream to a simmer over moderately high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the whole eggs and yolks with the sugar, vanilla and salt. Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, then whisk in the chocolate pieces and stir until mostly melted.
- Spread the pretzel cubes in the prepared baking dish and pour the chocolate custard over the top. Press the pretzel into the custard until evenly soaked, then let stand for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the caramel over the bread pudding. Set the baking dish in a roasting pan and fill the pan halfway with hot water. Bake the bread pudding for 50 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the dish from the water bath and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle with more caramel before serving, if desired.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. If necessary, use a wet pastry brush to wash down any crystals on the side of the pan. Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the sugar from the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream. The mixture will bubble. Stir in the unsalted butter and salt. Transfer the caramel to a dish and cool.
Formulation courtesy of Companion Baking, St. Louis, MO