The 26th annual National Pie Championships from the American Pie Council, returning after several years off due to COVID-19 restrictions, has announced its winners in Commercial and Independent divisions. Held May 1-2, 2023, in Kissimmee, Florida, the competition featured more than 30 sweet and savory flavor categories – including hand-held options, no-sugar-added and gourmet treats.
Harlan/Apple Valley Foods in Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada topped an impressive competitive commercial bakery field with 26 blue ribbons awarded at the Colborne Foodbotics Awards Reception and Ceremony. Judges’ favorites included Harlan/Apple Valley Foods’ Bursting with Berries, Spiced Peach, White Chocolate Cranberry Cheesecake and Chocolate Bourbon Pecan pies, among the blue ribbon winners.
The top independent baker is a returning favorite, Michele’s Pies in Norwalk, Connecticut, with 8 blue ribbons awarded to entries including Peanut Butter Fantasy, Berry Marscapone, Turtle Pumpkin and Strawberry Shortcake pies.
Among the blue ribbons in the Commercial Bakers division:
• Harlan/Apple Valley Foods, Kentville, NS -- 26
• Sara Lee Frozen Bakery, Oakbrook Terrace, IL -- 15
• Jessie Lord Bakery, Torrance, CA -- 13
• Publix Super Markets, Lakeland, FL -- 9
• Table Talk Pies, Worcester, MA -- 8
• Rocky Mountain Pies, Salt Lake City, UT -- 8
• Village Pie Maker, Omaha, NE -- 7
• Wick’s Pies, Winchester, IN -- 4
• Beckmann’s Old World Bakery, Santa Cruz, CA -- 4
• Mike’s Pies, Tampa, FL -- 3
• JOYEBELLS, Richmond, VA – 1
Among the blue ribbons in the Independent Bakers division:
• Michele’s Pies, Norwalk, CT -- 8
• The Flaky Apple Pie Co., Costa Mesa, CA -- 4
• Norske Nook Inc., Osseo, WI -- 3
• Don, the Pie Guy, Fruitland Park, FL -- 2
• Zukie’s Pies and Cakes, Clearwater, FL -- 1
• River City Diner & Smokehouse, Oconto, WI – 1
“We couldn’t be happier with this year’s event,” says Rick Hoskins, American Pie Council board president and chief executive officer of Colborne Foodbotics. “Our bakers outdid themselves, to the judges’ delight. There truly is no other gathering for the pie industry that rivals this event for the competition, as well as the networking among industry peers. We’ve enjoyed 26 years of competition and of time well spent in our mission to impact and enhance the consumers’ love of this All-American treat.”