As fans across the globe eagerly anticipate the latest album from Taylor Swift, Midnights, set to debut on October 21, they are looking for unique celebrations for the event.
One delicious way fans are preparing for the album release is to make an old cookie recipe that has gone viral online and is ideal for the fall season. Swift initially shared the post on Instagram and then Tumblr years ago, and it has been unearthed by fellow baking enthusiasts.
Swift took a vanilla sugar cookie recipe by cookbook author and food blogger Joy the Baker and added chai spices and an eggnog glaze to give them some seasonal flair. The result is a cookie which is said to be similar to a snickerdoodle but even more festive.
The recipe can be found below.
- 1/2 cup (or one stick) of butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or the seeds of 1 vanilla bean pod
- 1 packet of crushed up chai tea leaves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons milk or eggnog
- Using a stand mixer or an electric mixer, beat the room temperature butter on medium speed for about a minute until light and fluffy.
- Add the oil, and mix again on medium speed until at least mostly incorporated. The butter and oil don’t need to completely blend.
- Add the granulated sugar, powdered sugar, egg and vanilla to the bowl, and mix again.
- Add crushed up chai tea leaves to the bowl and mix.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and mix on low until fully combined.
- Chill the dough for at least one hour before baking.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll the dough into medium-sized balls of dough (1-2 tablespoons large) and sprinkle sugar on top of them. Bake for 8-12 minutes, waiting until they begin turning golden brown. For softer cookies, remove from the oven before the edges start to brown.
- Let the cookies cool, then combine the ingredients for the glaze and top with glaze and sprinkle some cinnamon on top.