Biscuits are one of American consumers’ favorite comfort foods. According to a nationwide survey conducted online by The Harris Poll and commissioned by General Mills Foodservice and Pillsbury among over 2,000 Americans, nearly three-quarters of Americans (73 percent) say they would order a biscuit if offered as a side when dining out or ordering takeout. Additionally, just over three-quarters of Americans (76 percent) say they feel happy when they eat biscuits and are almost as likely to eat biscuits with dinner (40 percent) as breakfast (44 percent).
“The poll shows consumers love to indulge in biscuits when eating out or ordering takeout and are enjoying them in a variety of ways throughout the day,” says Jessica May, who analyzes consumer insights for General Mills Foodservice. “We learned that biscuits are popular, even beyond breakfast—indicating restaurants and foodservice operations may want to flex their creativity with this versatile menu item to bake up more sales.”
Other findings from the survey include:
- The top three reasons consumers love to eat biscuits when dining out or ordering takeout are that they are a favorite comfort food (37 percent), fulfill a craving (29 percent) or are a guilty pleasure/special treat (29 percent).
- The top three reasons consumers say they are tempted to eat biscuits are the rich, buttery flavor (55 percent), the smell of fresh-baked biscuits (47 percent) and the texture (43 percent).
- Top ways consumers enjoy biscuits include as part of a bread-basket or starter (33 percent), as part of biscuits and gravy (32 percent), as a side (31 percent), as a sandwich carrier (18 percent) and as a stand-alone snack (18 percent).
- Half of consumers (51 percent) say they would be more likely to order a sandwich if it was on a biscuit instead of traditional bread.
- More than half of Americans (58 percent) say they would be interested in desserts made from biscuits.
“It’s clear biscuits are beloved by diners, giving foodservice operations yet another reason to find ways to menu them across dayparts,” says Chef Ted Osorio, a member of General Mills’ esteemed team of culinary experts called the Chefs of the Mills. “Whether it’s offering familiar favorites like biscuits and gravy or using biscuits for unique desserts or sandwiches, biscuits are a workhouse item that can be used in so many ways. Biscuits are boss!”
Chef Osorio shares some of his favorite biscuit variations on menus:
- Use different seasonings or rubs like “everything bagel” or a combination of parmesan and black pepper for next-level biscuits such as Biscuit Everything Bagel Bomb or Parmesan Herb-Topped Whole Grain-Rich Biscuits.
- Turn biscuits into unique entrée options such as Biscuit Croquettes or Sweet Potato and Mushroom Biscuit Melts.
- Turn biscuits into desserts like Peach Cobbler Shortcake.
- Use biscuits as a carrier for sandwiches such as Spicy Chicken Biscuit Sandwiches, Corned Beef Pretzel Biscuit Sandwiches or French Onion Roast Beef Sliders.
- Serve biscuits with a side of savory or sweet-flavored butter like Kentucky Apple Butter