After much anticipation, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts celebrated the grand opening of its new flagship location in New York City's Times Square by turning on the world’s largest Hot Light – 15-feet tall and weighing 8,000 pounds – signaling that hot and fresh doughnuts are available for New Yorkers and visitors alike.
Cast members from “Chicago,” Broadway’s longest-running American musical, welcomed their new neighbor by turning on the shop’s Hot Light that morning before Krispy Kreme Times Square opened its doors to the public.
“Today, Broadway icons turned on Times Square’s newest light – the iconic Krispy Kreme Hot Light – and we are ecstatic to provide New York City residents and visitors not just the world’s most awesome doughnuts but a joy-filled doughnut experience that they will never forget,” says Michael Tattersfield, chief executive officer of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporation.
Krispy Kreme’s 4,500‑square-foot location will offer an immersive and interactive doughnut experience, including:
- The world’s largest Hot Light
- An iconic doughnut-making theater
- The largest Glazed Waterfall for spectators to watch doughnuts run through
- Stadium‑style seating inside a giant Krispy Kreme dozens box
- A 24-hour street-side pickup window where people can get doughnuts as they walk by
- Merchandise specific to New York City and Times Square to commemorate the experience
Additionally, Krispy Kreme is debuting a Big Apple-flavored doughnut in honor of the flagship’s home. Inspired by the candy apples sold at Coney Island, the inside of the doughnut features a Red Delicious flavored KREME filling and the doughnut is dipped in sweet, shiny red shimmer mirror glaze to give it a candy apple shine. It's topped with a royal icing green leaf and a lightly salted pretzel stick for the stem.