Cupcakes (serves 12)
1½ cups flour, plus 2 Tbsp
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus 2 Tbsp
4 large eggs, room temperature
6 Tbsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
3 cups diced strawberries
1 Tbsp honey
1 batch of buttercream frosting
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with 18 paper liners.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Using a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 8 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating them in thoroughly between each and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the vanilla, and mix well.
4. Reduce the speed to low, and add the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the Greek yogurt. Beat until well incorporated.
5. Divide the batter evenly between the 18 lined muffin cups, about ¼ cup in each.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
1. Stir the honey into the diced strawberries and mix well.
2. Spoon buttercream frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip.
3. Using a teaspoon, scoop out a hole in the center of each cupcake. Fill the hole with 1-2 teaspoons of the strawberry mixture. Then pipe a large round of the buttercream around the strawberry filling. Top off with more strawberry filling.
Formulation courtesy of California Strawberry Commission