2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. orange zest
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
3/4 cup honey
2 large eggs room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Filling and Syrup
1/2 cup pistachios chopped
1/2 cup honey
3 T water
2 tsp. orange juice
4 green cardamom pods crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1. Heat your oven to 350° and grease a 24 cup mini muffin tin
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, orange zest, cardamom and salt.
3. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and honey for about 1-2 minutes. The mix will look a little curdled at this point and that's fine, scrape down the sides.
4. Beat in the eggs, then the vanilla.
5. Mix in the flour in two parts.
6. Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven, let sit for about 3-4 minutes before using a dowel to carefully press down in the center of each cookie to make a well.
8. Let the cookies cool for about 15 minutes in the tin before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
9. Once the cookies are cool prepare the syrup.
10. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the honey. water, orange juice, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer and remove from the heat.
11. Drizzle a small amount in the bottom of each cookie cup and then fill with the chopped pistachios. Drizzle more syrup on top of the filled cookie cups.
12. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Formulation courtesy of National Honey Board