2 cups stout beer
1 cup golden raisins
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 pound room temperature butter, diced
3 cups rolled oats
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup spent grain flour (substitute all-purpose flour if unavailable)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine 1 cup of the stout and the raisins in a small pot and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
3. Combine the brown sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Slowly cream the mixture together until light and fluffy.
4. Add the remaining cup of stout to the rolled oats and let sit.
5. Mix together the cocoa powder, flour, spent grain, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and fold into the oat mixture.
6. Add the oat mixture, raisins, and egg to the creamed butter. Gently mix until it comes together.
7. Fold in the chocolate chips.
8. Spoon tablespoon-size drops onto a parchment-paper-lined cookie tray and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned but still soft.
Formulation courtesy of The Culinary Institute of America