1. For the large monster, stack and fill two 6” cakes, cut three dowels or drinking straws to that height, and insert. Cut a 3” round from food-grade cardboard and place on top of dowelled cake. Stack and fill two 4” cakes and place on top. Pierce the entire cake with a skewer cut to the final height of the cake, then shape whole monster with a serrated knife.
2. For the small monster, stack a jumbo cupcake atop a colossal cupcake, or cut from sheet cake with circle cutters.
3. Ice and smooth the bodies with white buttercream, then place the small cake in a cooler to chill; the only areas that need to be smoothed well are the t-shirt areas, since the rest will be covered in fur.
4. Mix orange icing using Lucks Orange Airbrush Color (Item #10164), light blue with Lucks Blue Airbrush Color (Item #10158), and black with DecoPac Coal Black Premium Gel (Item #45290). Set aside a small amount of blue icing and deepen it with a few more drops of color.
5. Place the large monster on a ¼ sheet board and mark his shirt areas with a paint brush or skewer. With black icing in a #4 plain round tube (Item #11026), pipe his shirt collar and bottom of shirt; with light blue icing in a #32 french star tip (Item #11035), cover the rest of his body with swirled fur. Add feet, too, if you like!
6. Remove the small monster from the cooler and place close to the large monster on the cake board. Outline his shirt area in black, then cover the rest of his body in orange icing using a #8 plain round tube (Item #11031).
7. Now that these pals are together, fit a pastry bag with a Coupler (Item #11024) and fill with white buttercream; use this to carefully pipe the long arms of the large monster. Overpipe his lower arms with light blue icing, and don’t forget his fingers…for fun, add Rainbow Heart Charms Dec-Ons® decorations (Item #28730) for fingernails!
8. With a #8 tube and white icing, repeat this process for the small monster’s arms, minus the fingernails.
9. Select eyes and mouths from the Silly Face Pieces Dec-Ons® decorations (Item #45811) set.
10. If you wish, use other Dec-Ons® decorations, such as the Dinosaurtment (Item #13923) and the Red Heart (Item #14077) to add pizzazz to their t-shirts.
11. With your black icing, finish by piping sleeve outlines, t-shirt messages, and eyelashes/eyebrows.
To order everything you need to decorate this item, please click here.
Decorating idea courtesy of Lucks