Looking for a new way to decorate cupcakes? Painting on fondant is a hot new trend...why not take it to your cupcakes? Vanessa Greeley demonstrates five steps to a stenciled cupcake design.
1. Start with a thin layer of fondant (it should complement the cupcake, not overtake it), and place the stencil on top.
2. Using a rolling pin, apply enough pressure that the fondant will rise into the stencil.
3. Brush on the gel color. Don't let any go to waste—get into every little corner and crease.
4. Use a round cutter that matches the size of your cupcakes. Cut to center the design on the cupcake.
5. Carefully place on top of the cupcake.