1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp (1¼ sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 1/2 cups pears cut into large chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter and flour a 10-inch cake pan.
2. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and cinnamon.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar until light in color and consistency, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated. Add the sifted flour mixture and mix until well incorporated.
4. Fold in the pears by hand, and pour the batter into the cake pan.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Formulation courtesy of The Culinary Institute of America