1 3/4 cups chickpeas (1 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
Zest from two lemons
Zest from one orange
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
2/3 cup whole wheat flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/3 cup ground almonds
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon ground almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
3. Purée the chickpeas in a food processor until smooth.
4. Add the lemon and orange zest and juice, olive oil, sugar, and egg yolks. Purée until smooth.
5. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom. Stir in the chickpea mixture, then add the ground almonds.
6. Whisk egg whites until they hold semi-soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
7. In a small bowl, combine the ground almonds, sugar, and cardamom. Set aside.
8. Scoop batter into muffin tin. You can use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to do this, but you’ll only need to add a generous 1/4 cup of batter to each muffin cup. Sprinkle the muffin batter with some of the almond-sugar-cardamom mixture.
9. Bake 12–13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Formulation courtesy of The Culinary Institute of America