Crust & Filling
1 recipe All-Butter Pie Crust
8 cups blackberries
2/3 cup sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
juice and grated rind (zest) of 1/2 lemon
pinch of salt
1 large egg, beaten
coarse sugar for sprinkling
1. Place the blackberries, sugar, cornstarch, ginger, vanilla, lemon juice and zest, and salt in a large bowl, but don't stir them together just yet.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece of the dough into a roughly 12" circle about 1/8" thick and place it into a 9" pie pan. Place in the fridge while you prepare the filling and topping. Roll the other piece of dough into a roughly 12" circle about 1/8" thick.
3. Stir the filling ingredients together, then pour the filling into the shell and press gently to compact the berries. Top with the second crust, trim the edges so they're even, then fold and crimp them together.
4. Slide the whole pie into the fridge or freezer for about 15 minutes, or until the crust is very firm. While the pie is chilling, preheat the oven to 400°F.
5. When you're ready to bake, brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg and sprinkle with a healthy dose of coarse sugar. Put the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet to catch any drips and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the crust is deep golden brown and the blackberry juices bubble. If the crust seems to be darkening too fast, tent it with aluminum foil. Remove the pie from the oven and cool before slicing.
Formulation courtesy of King Arthur Flour