Unsalted butter, cold and cubed 227g / 16 Tbsp
Cream cheese 227g / 8oz
Kosher salt 6g / 1 1/2 tsp
All-purpose flour, plus more for dusting 270g / 2 cups
Blanched almonds, toasted 30g / 1/4 cup
Sunsweet® Plum Amazins 200g / 1 1/2 cups
Bread crumbs 35g / 1/2 cup
Sugar 80g / 1/3 cup
Cinnamon 1g / 1/2 tsp
Egg, beaten with a splash of water 50g / 1 each
1. In a food processor, pulse the butter, cream cheese, flour, and salt together until a crumbly dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gather it into a ball. Divide in half and shape each half into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, 2 hours or overnight.
2. In a food processor, process the almonds until ground. Transfer the nuts to a bowl, and reassemble the food processor (no need to wash it first).
3. Pour enough boiling water over the Plum Amazins to cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain the Plum Amazins and purée in the food processor. Pulse in the breadcrumbs, sugar, and cinnamon.
4. Working with one disk at a time, roll the dough into a 10-inch circle 1/4 to 1/8-inch thick. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash. Put half of the prune filling in the center and spread it out just before the eggbrushed edges. Sprinkle half of the ground almonds over the filling.
5. With a knife or pizza cutter, cut the circle into 16 wedges. To shape the rugelach, starting at the blunt end of each wedge, roll up toward the tip. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
6. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Space the rugelach 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 325°F. Brush the rugelach with egg wash and bake until golden brown and baked through, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely.
Formulation courtesy of Sunsweet