Orange 250g / 1 each
Sunsweet® Plum Amazins 200g / 1 1/2 cups
All-purpose flour 300g / 2 1/4 cups
Sugar 50g / 1/4 cup
Baking powder 8g / 2 tsp
Kosher salt 2g / 1/2 tsp
Unsalted butter, cold and cubed 142g / 10 Tbsp
Buttermilk 120g / 1/2 cup, plus extra
Cornmeal, for dusting
Turbinado sugar (optional), for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Zest the orange and reserve the zest. Cut the orange in half and squeeze the orange halves over the Plum Amazins.(You will need about 1/3 cup of juice.) Let sit for 15 minutes, then drain.
3. In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest. Add the butter and continue to pulse until a coarse and crumbly dough forms. Add the Plum Amazins and pulse briefly to distribute. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk and pulse just until the dough comes together. (It will resemble biscuit dough.)
4. Dust a surface generously with cornmeal. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and gently pat or roll into an 8-inch round. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the round into 10 wedges.
5. Place the scones about 1 inch apart on the baking sheets. Brush the tops with buttermilk and sprinkle turbinado sugar on top. Bake until the tops are golden and the surface forms cracks, about 18 minutes.
Formulation courtesy of Sunsweet