Sunsweet Diced Dried Plums 135 grams / 1 cup
Whole hazelnuts 95 grams / 3/4 cups
Whole-wheat pastry flour 230 grams / 2 cups
Dutch-process cocoa powder 50 grams / 1/2 cup
Instant espresso powder 2.5 grams / 1 teaspoon
Baking powder 9 grams / 2 teaspoons
Salt 4 grams / 1 teaspoon
Unsalted butter, at room temperature 113 grams / 1/2 cup
Sugar 190 grams / 1 cup
Eggs, large 110 grams / 2 each
Vanilla extract 5 grams / 1 teaspoon
Bittersweet chocolate chunks 80 grams / 1/2 cup
1. In a bowl, soak the diced dried plums in warm tap water for 5 minutes. Drain.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toast the hazelnuts until lightly fragrant, about 10 minutes. Rub the hazelnuts between a dishtowel to remove some of the skins. (It’s not necessary to remove all skins.) Using the back of a sauté pan, crush the hazelnuts until some but not all of the nuts are cracked in half or quarters.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three stages, mixing briefly in between each addition. Mix in the diced dried plums, chocolate, and hazenuts until just incorporated. Let rest for 20 minutes to allow the flour to hydrate; this helps alleviate some of the dough’s stickiness.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half (each half will be about 525 grams / 18.5 oz). Shape each half into a log about 2 inches wide and nearly 13 inches long. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Brush the tops of the loaves with water.
6. Bake the loaves for 35 minutes or until firm on top but before the bottoms darken too much, then transfer to cooling racks. Lower the oven temperature to 300F. Once the cooled to room temperature, (after at least 30 minutes), use a serrated knife to cut the logs on a bias into 3/4 inch- / 2 cm-thick biscotti.
7. Lay biscotti on the baking sheets and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Working quickly to avoid burning your fingers, flip the biscotti over and bake for 5 to 7 more minutes or until evenly toasted on both sides. The biscotti will continue to crisp as they cool.
Formulation courtesy of Sunsweet