The Retail Bakers of America have selected contestants for its 2010 Pillsbury Bakers Plus Creative Decorating Competition, to be held live at the International Baking Industry Exposition (IBIE).
Contestants will compete head-to-head for the championship title in the 10th annual competition, sponsored by General Mills. Held at IBIE in front of a live audience on the tradeshow floor, the competition will be judged based on the following sponsored categories: Flowers and Sprays (Chefmaster), Wedding Cake (Pfeil & Holing), Rolled Fondant (Bakery Crafts), Custom Design Cakes (DecoPac) and Sculpted Cakes (Satin Fine Foods). The highest scoring individual, as determined by a panel of judges, will be awarded the coveted Pillsbury Baker’s Plus Grand Champion Trophy, sponsored by General Mills. Gold, silver and bronze medals will also be awarded for the highest three scores in each category. Over $14,000 in prize money will be awarded to competitors and their sponsoring bakeries and local bakery associations. The awards ceremony, sponsored by the California Raisin Marketing Board, will be held Tuesday, September 28 at the Bellagio Resort and Hotel, 6:30pm. Tickets may be purchased by calling (703) 610-0241 or email email@example.com.
Representing RBA’s local affiliate associations:
- Chicago Area Retail Bakers Association – Chris Andrews, Kirsten’s Danish Bakery, Burr Ridge, IL
- Deep South Retail Bakers Association – Karey Barela, The Ambrosia Bakery, Baton Rouge, LA
- Greater Cincinnati Retail Bakers Association - Camilla Smith, Busken Bakery, Inc, Cincinnati, OH
- Greater Southwest Retail Bakers Association - Deena Oden, Rick’s Bakery, Fayetteville, AR
- New Jersey Baker’s Board of Trade - Annemarie Kane, Food Scene, Inc, Colts Neck, NJ
- Ohio Bakers Association - Sarah Crews, ele’ Cake Company, West Carrollton, OH
- Upper Midwest Bakery Association - Keeann Martineau , Jerry’s Foods, Edina, MN
- Southeastern Retail Bakers Association – To be selected during the local competition held in August
Contestants named by portfolio (open to RBA members in areas not served by a local affiliate or not having a local competition):
- Tina Bennett, Vanilla Swirl Cakery, Fairport, NY
- Nancy Sepe, Nancy’s Fancies Cakes, Providence, RI
- Adam Gonsalves, Bristol Community College, Fall River, MA
- Rita Llanso, Touche’ Touchet Bakery, Columbia, MD