One of the hottest tips in the cupcake business is the unique topper. And one of the easiest ways to make custom toppers is to use fondant and make your unique creations ahead of time.
- Make sure your surface tools and hands are clean and dry
- Work fast to keep fondant pliable. Wrap and seal fondant that’s not in use.
- Don’t forget to knead, knead, knead.
- Use cornstarch and confectioners sugar to make a non-stick surface.
- Roll out fondant to about 1/8-inch thick.
- Use a firm mix and avoid ultra moist.
- Store fondant at room temperature (but put chocolate in the fridge).
- Crumb-coat your cake and chill in the fridge.