On Wednesday, March 15, at 12 p.m. ET, the James Beard Foundation announced the final nominees for its 2017 James Beard Foundation Awards. The announcement took place from 2016 Outstanding Chef award winner Suzanne Goin's Los Angeles eatery, A.O.C.
The James Beard Foundation is a national not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to celebrating and nurturing America’s food culture. Among the 27th annual James Beard Foundation Awards will be the Outstanding Baker and Outstanding Pastry Chef categories. On February 15, 20 semifinalists from across the country were selected in each category.
The 2017 James Beard Awards Gala will be held at the Lyric Opera of Chicago on Monday, May 1, where the winners will be announced.
The James Beard Foundation live streamed the announcement of the nominees on Facebook Live and live tweeted them on Twitter. Here are the finalists in the Outstanding Baker and Outstanding Pastry Chef categories:
2017 Nominees for Outstanding Baker
- Ken Forkish, Ken’s Artisan Bakery, Portland, OR
- Mark Furstenberg, Bread Furst, Washington, D.C.
- Zachary Golper, Bien Cuit, Brooklyn, NY
- Greg Wade, Publican Quality Bread, Chicago
- Belinda Leong and Michel Suas, B. Patisserie, San Francisco
2017 Nominees for Outstanding Pastry Chef
- Kelly Fields, Willa Jean, New Orleans
- Maura Kilpatrick, Oleana, Cambridge, MA
- Margarita Manzke, République, Los Angeles
- Dolester Miles, Highlands Bar & Grill, Birmingham, AL
- Ghaya Oliveira, Daniel, NYC