Our friends at InStore Magazine recently attended IDDBA 2016. One of the featured speakers at the event was celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain, who appeared on the Show & Sell Center stage. He provided fascinating insight into a variety of food topics, and InStore collected his top ten quotes. Here are just a few:
1) “I can tell you, you’re going to be much cooler, and certainly get a lot more play on the foodie websites by finding that $4.99 bowl of noodles in a strip mall than eating at a fine dining restaurant.”
2) “Let’s face it, there are times in your life when you’re sitting at home, and you’re drunk, it’s late at night, and wouldn’t you pay $32.95 for a really bad burger? I know I would.”
3) “Instagram is always a good indicator of how popular food is. Now I lead a pretty interesting life; I put some pretty cool stuff up on Instagram. Now a picture of me, let’s say in a hot tub, with Christopher Walken, an octopus and the Dalai Lama doing bong rips — you’d think that this would be a pretty interesting shot and that I could expect a lot of ‘likes.’ That’s good for about 5,000 likes. But let me tell you, I took an innocuous picture of an In & Out burger sitting by itself on a counter and it got 20,000 likes in 10 minutes. What does this tell us about the world? I don’t know.”
4) “Kale! Kale was garbage only five years ago. Nobody wanted it, it was like a weed. Only the Portuguese ate in soup, that was it. Now everybody does. I don’t know when it started, if Gwyneth Paltrow started drinking the stuff or something, but now everyone wants kale.”
5) “What changed? In my time, disposable income was spent on concert tickets or cocaine. Now, people — especially young people — spend that same money on going to restaurants that they otherwise couldn’t afford.”
6) “The thought of eating raw fish 30 years ago was absolutely repellent to most people. We crossed that river a long, long time ago. Why we crossed it doesn’t matter. Did people discover the food of Japan because of a long-standing interest in Asia? No, they probably saw Sarah Jessica Parker eating sushi on Sex and the City and thought, ‘That looks good, I’ll try it.’”
For the rest of their top ten quotes, head over to InStore.