Yields 6 trifles
Ginger Snap Cookies
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup Domino® Dark Brown Sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream the butter and Domino® Golden Sugar. Mix in the egg and applesauce.
- Mix in the sifted flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Once the cookie dough comes together. Dough will be soft and will hold together.
- Spray a nonstick half-sized sheet tray (13x18”) with non-stick cooking spray. With a medium size scoop, scoop 8 cookies being sure to space them 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, let cool completely.
- Peel and dice sweet potato. Add to a medium pot with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, mix the butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and Domino® Dark Brown Sugar together until smooth.
- To make the meringue, place the egg whites and Domino® Golden Sugar in a bowl, and place over a half a pot of water, constantly mixing. Do not let the bowl touch the water. Heat until 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the meringue mixture into a clean bowl and whisk until you get stiff peaks.
- Add the ginger snap cookies into a sandwich bag and crush.
Grab 6-8 individual containers, layer the crushed gingersnap cookies, then sweet potato filling, another layer of cookies, then sweet potato and top it with a dollop of meringue. Using a torch, lightly torch the top for a beautiful presentation.
Recipe courtesy of Domino Sugar