Yields 8 servings
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups espresso coffee
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 26 pieces ladyfingers
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine egg yolks, ¼-cup sugar, and salt. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk the mixture until the sugar dissolves and the egg yolks turn to a light-pale yellow color. About 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow the mixture to cool. Stir occasionally.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the cream and the rest of the sugar (1/2-cup) until soft peaks form. Add vanilla and mascarpone cheese and continue whipping at medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the mascarpone mixture with the cool egg yolk mixture until combined and smooth.
- In a shallow dish, mix espresso with rum.
- Assemble. Dip ladyfingers, one at a time in the coffee mixture. Arrange in a single layer on the bottom of an 8in x 8in x 2in pan. Spread half of the mascarpone cream on top. Dust half of the cocoa powder over it. Repeat process for a second layer of ladyfingers, cream and cocoa.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Recipe courtesy of Domino Sugar