In June 2020, Yelp answered the call from users to make it easier to support the Black community. The review platform launched its Black-owned business attribute to help consumers find, connect with and patronize Black-owned businesses. Since its launch, more than 45,000 businesses have self-identified as Black-owned on Yelp, making it easier than ever for consumers to dine and shop with these local businesses.
According to Yelp, review mentions for Black-owned businesses were up 165% in 2021, compared to 2019.
Last week, Yelp released its list of standout Black-owned food, beauty and home and decor businesses across the country in honor of Black History Month.
The complete list of food businesses on Yelp’s list can be found below:
- My Two Cents - Los Angeles, CA
- The Rabbit Hole - Pompano Beach, FL
- Selam Ethiopian & Eritrean Cuisine - Orlando, FL
- Pure-Trition- Indianapolis, IN
- Sobeachy Haitian Cuisine - Baltimore, MD
- The Narrow Way Cafe & Shop - Detroit, MI
- The Coffee Class - Las Vegas, NV
- Blvd Bistro - New York, NY
- Melba's Restaurant - New York, NY
- Black Coffee Lounge - Cincinnati, OH
- Cream + Sugar Coffeehouse - Cincinnati, OH
- Bird Bird Biscuit - Austin, TX
- Binge Kitchen - San Antonio, TX
- The Breakfast Klub - Houston, TX
- Happy Cafe - Virginia Beach, VA