To mark National Pie Day on Sunday, January 23, food sensitivity specialist YorkTest has created seven recipes to give people with vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free diets the chance to enjoy classic American pies.
YorkTest released the recipes after searches for “vegan key lime pie” rose by 53% in the US in the last three months, and “dairy free peanut butter pie” by 136%.
Among the recipes offered, which can all be found at YorkTest’s website, are a vegan spin on the cheeseburger pie and a gluten-free version of the crumbly apple pie. These recipes were created by expert nutritional therapist Sal Hanvey with people with food sensitivities in mind.
One example is a vegan Key Lime Pie, with the recipe below:
Key Lime Pie (Vegan)
- 1 cup of Graham crackers, (vegan) or Digestive Biscuits
- 1/4 cup vegan butter of choice (melted)
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts, unsalted and unroasted soaked in water for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight, then water drained.
- 1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk for a creamier finish. (You can use half fat milk if preferred).
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 3 standard limes or 6 small key limes*- yielding just under half a cup of juice
- 1 tbsp of lime/ key lime zest
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
*Key limes are less tart than standard limes, so if using standard limes expect them to be slightly more tart/ sharp. You can counteract this by adding more agave to enhance sweetness.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Line a baking tin with a paper liner or coat the baking tin with a touch of melted coconut oil.
- Add your cracker or biscuit to a food processor and blitz until you have a fine crumb powder, then add the melted butter and pulse to create a base mix.
- Take the base mix and layer the bottom on the baking tin with a flat spoon or similar.
- Bake for just 10 minutes and take out of the oven, set aside and allow to cool.
- Take all other ingredients and place them in a blender and mix until you have the desired smooth and creamy consistency.
- Pour mixture onto the top of the biscuit base.
- For decoration you can add more lime zest or thin slices of key lime or lime.
- Freeze until firm (approx 3 hours) and take out of the freezer 10-15 minutes before serving.