Grubhub has released findings from its annual “Year in Food” report. The leading online and mobile food-ordering and delivery marketplace analyzed orders from over 32 million diners to see what rose in popularity throughout the year.
2020 was the year of comfort foods, and 2019 was full of vegetarian-friendly orders. 2021 gave us a mix of both, with the Impossible cheeseburger rising to prominence, increasing 442% in popularity and becoming the top order of the year.
The top ten orders of the year include:
- Impossible cheeseburger (+442%)
- Shredded pork taco (+310%)
- Apple pecan chicken salad (+287%)
- Detroit-style pizza (+263%)
- Margarita (+240%)
- Pub mac and cheese (+174%)
- Pork dumplings (+173%)
- Chicken burrito (+166%)
- Poke nacho (+158%)
- Lettuce wrap (+155%)
The top side dishes of the year include:
- Chips and pico de gallo (+205%)
- Stuffed garlic knot (+174%)
- Mac and cheese (+173%)
- Cornbread (+171%)
- Chips and queso (+155%)
The top desserts of the year include:
- Strawberry shortcake sundae: (+378%)
- Cookie dough cheesecake (+315%)
- Chocolate chip pizza (+287%)
- Cookie dough burrito (+255%)
- Flan (+244%)
Grubhub is also analyzing hundreds of millions of orders over the past three years to provide its predictions for the top foods of 2022. Here are the orders that are bound to rise in popularity next year.
- Margherita flatbread pizza
- Buffalo chicken tots
- Peanut butter protein smoothie
- Cajun steakburger
- Apple cobbler
More of Grubhub’s Taste of 2021 can be viewed at its website.