- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp. (265g) all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. (7g) granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. (1.5g) kosher salt
- 4 oz. (113g) Plugrá® Premium Butter, unsalted, softened
- 3 to 4 tbsp. (42g to 56g) ice water
- ½ cup almonds
- ¼ cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp. (6g) Plugrá® Premium Butter, unsalted, softened
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1¾ lbs. (795g) small apples, about 5 apples, 2½ inches in diameter
- 2 oz. (56g) Plugrá® Premium Butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- Crusts: Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and butter in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until it is just combines. The dough should begin to hold together when it is ready. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times until to form a ball. Press into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Almond Cream: Combine almonds and ¼ cup sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse until the almonds are finely ground – don’t run the processor continuously or you’ll end up with almond butter. Add the egg, butter, almond extract and flour and pulse until well blended and a paste is formed.
- Apple Topping: Peel and core the apples, cut in half and cut ¼-inch off the smaller end of each half. Slice the remaining halves into 1/8-inch slices. Cut the ¼-inch slices into ¼-inch dice.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cut apples and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook the apples, stirring occasionally, until they have softened but have not browned, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assembly: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the chilled dough out to 1/8-inch thickness and cut into 8 5-inch circles. Transfer the circles to the prepared pan and spread each circle with a rounded tablespoon of Almond Cream. Shingle the apple slices around the dough to form a circle that’s narrower at the center and wider at the edges. Scatter the diced apple pieces over the tarts and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the edges of the apples begin to brown. Serve with Brown Butter Caramel Sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Plugrá Kitchens