Makes 2 loaves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 200 ml (6.7 oz) Guinness or other dark beer
- 3 Granny Smith apples, grated and drained
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease and flour two loaf pans.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Separately whisk the wet ingredients, excluding the beer. Add 3/4 of wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix again. Add the beer and apples and stir to combine.
- Pour into loaf pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
Formulation courtesy of Tova du Plessis of Essen Bakery in Philadelphia, via National Honey Board