On Monday, May 4, the James Beard Foundation reduced its list of semifinalists for the 30th annual James Beard Awards into the final nominees for each award.
This awards season has been much different than years past, with the COVID-19 pandemic creating a tumultuous period for restaurants and bakeries across the country. During this time the Foundation postponed its Awards activities to instead focus on the James Beard Foundation Food and Beverage Industry Relief Fund, which to date has disbursed more than $4 million to independent, locally owned restaurants around the country.
After consultation with chefs and restaurateurs across the country, the Foundation decided to go ahead with announcement of its 2020 nominees and honorees, and set the dates for this year’s remaining Awards events, which recognize work done in 2019. Restaurant & Chef Award winners are scheduled to be announced on Friday, September 25, 2020, from Chicago, broadcast live via the James Beard Foundation’s Twitter feed.
Among these awards are Outstanding Baker and Outstanding Pastry Chef. Here are the nominees:
Outstanding Baker (Qualifications: A pastry chef or baker who demonstrates exceptional skill, integrity, and character in the preparation of desserts, pastries, or breads served in a retail bakery. Must have been working as a pastry chef or baker for the past five years.)
- Graison Gill, Bellegarde Bakery, New Orleans
- Zachary Golper, Bien Cuit, NYC
- Maura Kilpatrick, Sofra Bakery, Cambridge, MA
- Lisa Ludwinski, Sister Pie, Detroit
- Avery Ruzicka, Manresa Bread, Los Gatos, CA
Outstanding Pastry Chef (Qualifications: A pastry chef or baker who demonstrates exceptional skill, integrity, and character in the preparation of desserts, pastries, or breads served in a restaurant. Must have been working as a pastry chef or baker for the past five years.)
- Lincoln Carson, Bon Temps, Los Angeles
- Juan Contreras, Atelier Crenn, San Francisco
- Margarita Manzke, République, Los Angeles
- Diane Moua, Spoon and Stable, Minneapolis
- Natasha Pickowicz, Flora Bar, NYC
- Miro Uskokovic, Gramercy Tavern, NYC