- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten to blend
- Preheat oven to 375. Pulse baking powder, salt, sugar, baking soda, 2 cups flour and chilled butter in a food processor until largest pieces of butter are the size of a nickel. Transfer to a large bowl with the remaining flour and toss together until butter appears evenly distributed. Add buttermilk over entire mixture all at once and knead mixture until a shaggy dough forms and almost no dry is left at the bottom of the bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into roughly a 12”-14” thick rectangle.
- Begin by doing a tri-fold, starting from the left, fold the dough halfway to the center, and then fold from the right over top of the first fold. Press down to make sure dough is compact and flatten out again to make a rectangle shape. Rotate dough 90 degrees and fold the dough from the top down. Again, press dough down and reshape into a rectangle. Rotate 90 degrees again, and fold from left to right. Repeat the process 2 more times, ending with a fold from left to right.
- Using a rolling pin, adjust dough to desired thickness, about 3/4 of the height of your biscuit cutter. Dip biscuit cutter into the flour to prevent sticking, and then cut straight up and down, careful not to twist the biscuit cutter. You should get about 4 biscuits out of your first rectangle.
- Press remaining dough together and reshape into a small rectangle. Cut out 2 additional biscuits. Repeat as many time as necessary until only a small amount of dough remains.
- Mix egg yolks and heavy cream with a fork until blended. Brush tops of biscuits lightly with mixture and place on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 30-35 minutes
Salted Honey Butter
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup honey
In a small saucepan, melt butter and honey until combined. Brush a generous amount over biscuits while both the honey butter and biscuits are hot. Sprinkle tops with generous amounts of sea salt
Formulation courtesy of Fox in the Snow