California walnuts offer a unique flavor and texture, making them wonderfully versatile for both savory and sweet food product applications. As a result, research chefs and tastemakers around the world increasingly find new and exciting ways to incorporate walnuts. Try adding walnuts to baked goods, dessert bars and chocolate confections for a nutty crunch; to sauces and spreads as a wholesome thickener; or as a plant-based alternative to meat. Discover the diversity of walnuts as the perfect showcase ingredient in the biggest savory and sweet flavor trends.
- Granulated sugar 32.50%
- Whole eggs 25.71%
- Butter 16.67%
- Cake flour 15.77%
- California walnut pieces 7.71% (sizes #10, 11, 12)
- Baking powder 0.73%
- Cardamom 0.73%
- Salt 0.18%
- Yield 100%
- Cream the butter and sugar on low speed in an industrial mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs to the mixing bowl and continue to mix on low speed.
- Sift in the dry ingredients (cake flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom) into the mixing bowl.
- Add the walnuts and continue mixing until the batter becomes homogenous.
- Deposit the batter into a paper tray or a parchment-lined springform pan and top with walnut pieces.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes until the cake center reaches 210°F.
- Retail product can be manufactured, baked and shipped frozen to retail markets.
Formulation courtesy of California Walnut Board