National Dessert Day is coming on Monday, October 14. To celebrate this occasion, Grubhub analyzed data to fink the nation’s top desserts. The leading online and mobile food-ordering and delivery marketplace looked at hundreds of thousands of orders to rank the top desserts and dessert providers on the platform.
According to Grubhub, the top trending dessert nationwide is chocolate fudge sundae, up 312 percent from last year. Following that is vanilla bean cheesecake (227 percent more popular), fruit crepe (215 percent), caramel churro (210 percent), and rainbow donut (204 percent).
The research also revealed the top bakeries and restaurants for desserts. Based on diner ratings and order volume, the top five are:
- The Scoop N Scootery — Arlington, MA
- Marthas Country Bakery — Brooklyn, NY
- Cookie Spin — Chicago, IL
- Midnight Cookie Co. —Seattle, WA
- The Baked Bear — San Francisco, CA
According to the data, the five states that order the most desserts are Texas, Colorado, Maryland, Tennessee, and Virginia. The top months for ordering desserts are July, June, and August.
Grubhub also determined the top desserts regionally, with the Midwest preferring dairy desserts, the Northeast preferring fried desserts, the South sticking to famous dessert staples, and the West mixing in traditional and non-traditional desserts.
- Banana split: 379% more popular
- Turtle cheesecake: 368% more popular
- Baklava: 278% more popular
- Flourless chocolate cake: 263% more popular
- Peach cobbler: 246% more popular
- Tempura ice cream: 478% more popular
- Fried dough w/ powder: 446% more popular
- Chocolate layer cake: 323% more popular
- Apple turnover: 316% more popular
- Lemon meringue pie: 274% more popular
- Peach cobbler: 300% more popular
- Butter pecan pie: 279% more popular
- Cinnamon roll: 258% more popular
- Banana pudding: 241% more popular
- Key lime pie: 194% more popular
- Cinnamon churro: 452% more popular
- Blonde brownie: 439% more popular
- Caramel apple pie crisp: 322% more popular
- Fried banana and ice cream: 294% more popular
- Sweet southern apple fritter: 163% more popular