On Monday, July 29, Ardent Mills announced that it has released its annual Sustainability Report for Fiscal 2019, available for download at its website.
The leading flour-milling and ingredient company dives into its many sustainability initiatives in the report, all in the effort of making a positive environmental impact.
“Our sustainability pillars focus on agriculture, operations, procurement, and transportation,” says Ardent Mills CEO Dan Dye. “We recently aligned our efforts with the United Nations and their Agenda for Sustainable Development and Sustainable Development Goals. By championing sustainability and focusing on these global goals, we believe our investment in sustainability delivers a product that brings value to our customers and the environment.”
Among the highlights of the report:
- New alignment with the UN Sustainable Development Goals targeted at Zero Hunger, Responsible Consumption and Production, and Climate Action
- An initiative to recycle paper in the company’s Newton facility, resulting in 400 tons of waste recycled and 6,766 trees saved since inception
- Composting at the Ardent Mills Innovation Center in the Denver headquarters in the 2018 fiscal year, resulting in 80,409 lbs. of material being diverted from the landfill
- A focus on energy saving projects, yielding a reduction in 3,779 tons of greenhouse gases over the 2018 fiscal year
- A partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Smartway Program to work with carriers who choose clean-burning fuel alternatives
- A strategic relationship with Colorado Quinoa to find a Colorado source of quinoa and discover water-saving opportunities for farmers in the San Luis Valley
“We are pleased to share our story and demonstrate how we partner with customers, communities, vendor partners and team members for a more sustainable world,” says Dye. “At Ardent Mills, we believe sustainability is everyone’s business.”