In celebration of National Donut Day, online and mobile food ordering and delivery marketplace Grubhub pulled together data on its donut orders to determine some of the most popular donuts across the country.
Based on the rise in orders from 2018 to 2019, Grubhub found the top trending donuts includes a bit of everything:
- Donut bites: 167% more popular
- Iced donut: 128% more popular
- Coconut donut: 114% more popular
- Creme brulee donut: 105% more popular
- Cinnamon roll donut: 99% more popular
- Rainbow donut: 97% more popular
- Chocolate frosted donut: 92% more popular
- Donut sandwich: 82% more popular
- Chocolate custard filled donut: 78% more popular
- Cinnamon sugar donut: 75% more popular
In the western United States, the honey glazed donut is the most popular (572% more popular this year), followed by crème bulee (357%) and churro (340%). The Midwest keeps it traditional, with the old-fashioned donut topping the list (529% more popular this year), followed by chocolate glazed (449%). The Northeast is getting trendy, with vegan donuts on the rise (695% more popular), followed by donut sundae (658%) and Nutella croissant donut (431%). Finally, the South keeps it simple, with sugar-covered and filled donuts leading the pack.
Crazy donut concoctions are also prevalent throughout the country, with standout donut orders including Thai donut with sweet milk sauce, donut bacon melt, grasshopper donut, mac and cheese donut, and espresso honeycomb donut.
Although donuts are increasing in popularity throughout the day, Grubhub reports that breakfast remains the #1 time to order donuts, followed by lunch and late-night.